Thursday, May 15

Street Art on Tshirts: Koralie

Street art takes on many forms, and one of the perks of living in Amsterdam is seeing art appear, morph, get covered, get uncovered and start again. Certainly street art isn't an European phenomenon, but I do think it looks better here, with the backdrop of old architecture to frame the very new art.

And it is indeed art, or at least a marketable commodity, as you can see by licensees with good taste. I stumbled upon French street artist Koralie through the Upper Playground site. One of her t-shirt designs used my current favorite motif, Russian stacking dolls, and led me to her wacky and beautiful site. Really -- you owe yourself a visit.

Koralie uses paper stencils, sometimes in conjunction with other street artists of the conventional spray paint variety (but freakishly clever). I find her work utterly charming, as I think she must be.

No comments: